An amazing thing happened last week. I had a Saturday off, I had a fresh batch of coconut macaroons and there was light. The macaroons were a result of a Thursday night gluten-free cooking class (best present ever). Since Jon and I both participated in the class we ended up with about 60 coconut macaroons. I took a batch to work where they were thoroughly enjoyed by everyone from residents to social workers to administrators. A few were enjoyed by guests we had visiting for the weekend and the rest – well – let’s just say that my lunches were pretty sweet last week.
yield: about 24 cookies
recipe notes: The original recipe calls for a 250 degree oven, however we baked ours at 300. This gave them a crispier shell. The recipe recommends baking 25 to 30 minutes. We started checking them around 25 min. If you want softer cookies, take them out when they’re soft but if you want them crispier on the exterior, keep them in & turn down the oven temp to 250 for another 5 or so minutes.
2 egg whites
3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups sweetened shredded dried coconut
1/2 – 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
chocolate, for dipping (optional)
1. Preheat an oven to 300°F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat.
2. In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until they just barely hold soft peaks. Beat in the sugar and vanilla and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, stir together the 3 cups coconut and just enough of the condensed milk to make a sticky batter. Fold in the egg white mixture.
4. Drop the batter by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 1 inch apart. Dip the spoon into cold water every once in a while to prevent the batter from sticking.
5. Bake until the cookies are golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Turn the oven off. Prop the oven door ajar and leave the cookies in the oven for 10 minutes more. Transfer the baking sheets to wire racks and let the cookies cool completely on the pans, then remove the cookies from the pans.
6. Optional: Melt some chocolate in a double broiler. Dip cookies, cool on baking sheet.